Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Pokémon: Ultra Deluxe Addition

Once again, Game Freak found a way to sneak in a big announcement. What started as an announcement for a new Pokémon Direct escalated in some pretty big news. But rather than me just talk about it, go ahead and watch the trailer:
 


I've talked about this before, but I adore the more human-based trailers. In a sense, it makes the Pokémon journey feel more real. But putting all that sappiness aside, the trailer revealed two new titles: Pokkén Tournament Deluxe and Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Later during the Direct, there was also the announcement that Pokémon Gold and Silver are coming to the 3DS Virtual Console. So yeah, pretty hefty stuff. But what's my take in all this?


Let's start off with Pokkén Tournament Deluxe! Not gonna lie, I am a bit salty I bought the first one a little over a year ago. This happened when I first got Marvel vs. Capcom 3, only for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 to be released later that year! Granted, this is a bit further out so the sting's not as bad. This title brings in four Pokémon that were included in later iterations of the arcade version. That would have been cool enough, but they also bring in Decidueye to the fray! New Support Pokémon seem to also be confirmed -- Litten appears as a support in some screenshots. It is a shame that Greninja didn't make the cut, but it's understandable they want to focus on the latest Pokémon. Most likely, I'll check it out -- I did have fun with the original Pokkén. One thing to note is that this is the second "Deluxe" title after Mario Kart 8. It's possible that we might see more updated Wii U games make their way to the Switch. Smash Bros Deluxe announced for E3? If it is, you heard it here first.


Up next: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon! Ignoring the clamoring for a Diamond and Pearl remake (which I'm all for, but am willing to wait for), I'm pretty hyped for these titles. As you can tell from the new legendary forms, they take a page from Black and White 2's book. It's unknown whether it's an enhanced version of Solgaleo and Lunala or Necrozma, but it appears to be some sort of fusion similar to how Kyurem fused with Zekrom and Reshiram. The Direct mentioned that this is "an alternate story in the world of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon," so it's more of a "third version" rather than a direct sequel. It'll be interesting to see where the story goes, but one big question remains: Will there be new Alola-form Pokémon?! Honestly, it'd be cool to get some Alola-form creatures beyond Gen 1.


Finally, we have Gold and Silver announced for the 3DS Virtual Console. If you followed me on Snapchat, again I want to apologize for all the screaming. As Johto is my favorite region, you know I was all up on this! Pokémon Bank compatibility was also announced for these titles, so the transfer mechanics to Sun and Moon should be the same as Red and Blue. This means there's an opportunity to get more Hidden Ability Pokémon (can you say Regenerator Ho-oh?). These games also allowed you to glitch for items and Pokémon eggs, so that'll be fun to mess around with.

I can see why other fans wouldn't be. After all, these aren't new titles per say -- they're enhancements of previous games. Still, I am excited for these games and know that I'll at least have fun with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment